Dr Professor Anna Meredith (MA VetMB PhD CertLAS DZooMed DipECZM MRCVS) talks to us about diet and nutrition in rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas.
- Sign in to Dechra’s free academy to hear about how diet is crucial in preventing and managing gastrointestinal disorders such as diarrhoea and hypomotility disorders.
- Dental disease and its association with diet is discussed, both in terms of the types of chewing as well as the potential for mineral imbalances to affect dental health
- The incidence of urolithiasis in rabbits appears to be correlated with vitamin C intake but may, in fact, be predisposed by obesity, diseases and underactivity.
- Water intake should be promoted for gut health. We find out that rabbits prefer bowls to water bottles but that hygiene should be carefully considered. Water intake can also be encouraged by feeding more hay.
- Finally, Professors Anna Meredith discusses the key messages in her most recent research – she outlines the reasons why muesli cannot be recommended as the main diet for these animals.